Pre-Season Tryouts and Requirements
We are pleased that you are contemplating to be a candidate for one of our East Haven Public Schools athletic programs. Before you start, there are some important things that you should understand.
It is important that you know that in some sports there is a need to make cuts which is one of the more unpleasant tasks a coach has to do, but is necessary to reduce a squad to a workable size. Before deciding to be a candidate, you and your parents must be prepared to accept the possibility you may not be selected. The Coaches are the sole judges of all candidates. Before you can become involved in a sport, you must:
1. Be academically eligible. Please refer to the 15 point check list for eligibility or take the CIAC Eligibility Quiz at : www.casciac.org/quiz.
2. Have a yearly physical examination. The physical examination covers all sports and is valid for a 13 month period.
3. The Interscholastic Permission Form must be filled out and signed by yourself and a parent or guardian. A separate form must be completed for each sport in which you are a candidate since it is kept on file by each coach.
15 POINT CHECKLIST FOR ELIGIBILITY
· Enrolled in five full time courses. Homeschooled students are not eligible.
· Passing in four full time courses and not failing more than one core class.
· Earned four credits toward graduation in the preceding school year
· Is an enrolled student in the school for which playing
· Has never dropped out of school
· Has not changed schools without parents moving to another school district or school service area
· Has not played more than three seasons of the same sport after entering grade ten
· Has not played more than eight consecutive semesters or four consecutive years of the same sport after entering grade nine
· Has not turned 20 years of age prior to July 1 of this school year
· Has not played or practiced the sport with another team during the high school season for the sport
· Has not been on more than one school team in the same season nor represented more than one school in the same season at the same time
· Has not received a salary or personal economic gain for playing the sport or competed under an assumed name
· Is not a member of a school team of the opposite gender (boy on a girls team)
· Has not been recruited to attend this high school for athletic purposes
· Is a foreign exchange student registered with the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel