The “Dress Code” Policy was an idea that was initiated by parents. We are proud of how stakeholders participated in the process. The many discussions were passionate, respectful and focused on the well-being and education of our students.
The East Haven Public Schools has created a “Code of Conduct” that will prepare our students with the knowledge and strategies for success. It is our belief that a “Dress Code” is one of the key components in creating a positive learning environment where high standards for academic achievement and career readiness can be achieved for our students.
K-8 students who attend East Haven Public Schools are to follow the Dress Code Policy. It is the responsibility of Parents, School Administration, and Staff to ensure that students are in compliance each school day.
Dress Code Statement
The East Haven Public Schools believe that student academic and social success will thrive in a safe and positive-learning environment. A standard of dress is one positive strategy to meet our District’s goals.
The EHPS Dress Code is based on the following principles:
- creating a safe environment
- developing self-confidence
reducing negative competition
- being cost-effective
- maintaining a focus on teaching and learning
- developing and preserving a community of learners
- generating/sustaining a positive school spirit
It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure that their children’s dress conforms to the requirements set forth below. The health, safety, and education of the child must be the concern of every parent/legal guardian. It is the recommendation of professional school personnel that parents/guardians hold their children to the highest standards in regard to school attire.
Within each school there will be:
- Positive, supportive and proactive initiatives to promote the Dress Code.
- A means to help families who need assistance with acquiring the dress code apparel for their child(ren). Parents/guardians are to contact the Principal immediately to discuss each situation.
- Accommodations made for medical/health and religious accommodations. Parents/guardians are to contact the Principal immediately to discuss each situation.
- School personnel will earnestly work with families in supporting the Dress Code Policy. Parental cooperation is essential to every aspect of your child’s success.
What to Wear
Shirts in either navy blue, white or burgundy
- Solid polo shirts
- Solid t-shirts/crew necks
- Solid turtlenecks
- Short or long-sleeved
- Solid non-hooded sweatshirts
Pants in either khaki/tan, navy blue or black and navy blue or burgundy for sweatpants
- Docker/Cargo Style Pants
- Wind pants/Sweatpants
- Cargo/Bermuda Shorts
Length of shorts and skirts no higher than 2” above the top of kneecap
- Cannot be worn in the school building during the school day
- Sweatshirts or sweaters with hoods can be worn to school as layers for outerwear but not in the building while school is in session
- Must be sneaker-type or flat shoes and must be properly fastened at all times
- Rubber soles only (no black soles that mark the floor)
- No slippers, sandals or flip-flops
- No backless or open-toed shoes
Students in Non-compliance:
Administration and staff will make every effort, in a positive proactive manner, to assist families with Dress Code compliance. Should the Principal determine that a student’s non-compliance with the EHPS Dress Code is an act of insubordination, disciplinary action will be taken.
- First Offense: Contact with parent; written warning; removal from class with a chance to correct and return to class.
- Second Offense: Contact with parent; Detention.
- Third Offense: Contact with parent; In- school Suspension.
- Fourth and Subsequent Offenses:Contact with parent; suspension (1 day), and/or Administrative investigation of misbehavior; appropriate application of East Haven Board of Education Discipline Policy for specific infraction (s).
￼Some Places to Shop
- J.C. Penney
- Old Navy
- Burlington Coat Factory
- Children’s Place
- Vio’s Sports Plus
Community stores/vendors have been contacted and will work with the District to provide cost-effective apparel and will stock our colors. They will provide flyers and coupons/discounts to our families.