CORE VALUES AND BELIEFS ABOUT LEARNING
The East Haven High School community believes that the mission of the school is to meet the needs of all students by empowering them to achieve their goals. We strive to provide a variety of opportunities for students to gain experiences and to explore ideas to better understand themselves and their role in an ever-changing world. To achieve our mission, we encourage active involvement and communication among school, family, and community.
We are committed to the following beliefs about learning:
1) Students must be given opportunities to explore ideas to better understand themselves and their world by:
- exposing them to content knowledge which they can apply in a variety of ways
- connecting them with learning opportunities both inside and outside the building
- providing students with technology so they can both access as well as communicate information
- collaborating with their peers on authentic assignments
2) Students must be empowered to achieve their goals by:
- being engaged in their learning
- being asked questions requiring higher order thinking skills
- encountering varied instructional practices
- being allowed to make choices
- accessing information through varied learning styles
- applying learned skills and knowledge to new contexts
- being supported by school, family, and community
3) Students must be able to achieve their goals by:
- being able to assess their progress using school-wide rubrics
- reflecting on their progress over time
- understanding the possibility of setting higher goals for achievement
- understanding how their civic and social expectations are often tied in to their academic achievement
The East Haven High School community has identified the following learning expectations for all students.
Click on each academic competency to view the corresponding rubric.
Civic and Social Competencies:
- The EHHS student demonstrates respect for himself/herself, others, and property.
- The EHHS student contributes positively to the community.
- The EHHS student takes responsibility for his/her learning.
Click on the links below to view the corresponding rubric.